NTSA March Webinar - The 5G Impact on Today’s Training
3/31/2021 11:00 am - 12:00 pm EDT
Event Type : Webinar
Event Code : 11B0
Broadcasted from Verizon’s new 5G Innovation Hub in Orlando, Florida, David Metcalf and the panel of speakers discussed how 5G is bringing all the benefits of multi-access edge computing (MEC), including deep learning (DL), automation, and compute-heavy processes in low-latency environments. Watch the recording to see the full discussion.
5G is coming! With the benefits of improved bandwidth and faster speeds, 5G also brings all of the benefits multi-access edge computing (MEC), including deep learning (DL), automation, and compute-heavy processes in low-latency environments. The Pentagon is taking steps to accelerate the adoption of 5G and future ‘Next-G’ across all warfighting functions, with specific emphasis on training. There are numerous pilot projects and research being done across the DoD in areas using augmented reality/virtual reality (AR/VR) to enhance readiness and tactical training—at scale. What does this mean for our industry? What is the current status of the efforts, and who is involved? What 5G opportunities currently exist, and what can we expect to see coming forward in 2021? This webinar will be broadcast from Verizon’s new 5G Innovation Hub in Orlando, Florida.
- At first blush, 5G is usually viewed as the ‘upgrade’ to 4G, promising faster speeds/bigger bandwidth. While this is true, what other key capabilities are enabled through 5G (e.g. mobile deployments, MEC)?
- How is MEC a game changer for training? How does it impact deep learning, AI, and virtual worlds?
- Dr. David Metcalf, Director, METIL.org, UCF Institute for Simulation and Training (Moderator)
- Eric Bruns, Executive Director, Simulation Learning, Evaluation, Assessment and Research Network (SimLEARN)
- Charles Caggiano, Jr., Government Solutions Product Manager Fellow, Verizon Business
- Stephen Farrow, Business Development Executive, CACI International, Inc.
- Juan Santos, Chief Innovation Officer, Tavistock Group
- Chris “CT” Thomas, Lead Systems Architect, Dell Technologies Public Sector
- Timothy Welch, Instructional Systems Specialist, The Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division (NAWCTSD)
Interested in sponsoring one of our monthly webinars? Increase your exposure within the simulation and training community by purchasing a sponsorship. Contact Shannon Burch at sburch@NDIA.org for more information.
- April 28 – Healthcare, Patient Safety
- May 26 – Services Update (prior to TSIS 2021)
- June 30 – Cyber
- July 28 – AR/VR/ Mixed Reality – Where are we going?
- August 25 – Prelude to IT²EC
- September 29 – Follow up from iFEST 2021
- October 27 – TBD
- November 17 – Prelude to I/ITSEC 2021
- December – No Webinar this month
Dates and topics are subject to change.